Monday, 2 April 2012

How to Poach an Egg

Random blog post alert! I was poaching an egg earlier and my Mum asked to watch me to see how I did it. I've only just learnt how to poach an egg. I'm not really a fan of eggs but I've found a recent love of eggs in a toasted muffin. Yum. My old method involved me fluttering my eyelashes at my husband and hoping he'd do it for me. Then I decided that it was a skill I needed to master.

There are many ways to poach an egg (so I'm told and so google will tell you). But mine has never failed!



You need:

An egg
Boiling water in a saucepan
Vinegar - 1 tbsp ish (preferably white or white wine vinegar but regular will do)
A bowl
A slotted spoon (or a normal big spoon and some kitchen roll)


Method:

  • Get your water boiling with your vinegar in it.
  • Break an egg into the bowl (don't break the yolk as you do this)
  • Use the spoon to stir the water vigorously so that it make a vortex (all the water swirling into the middle)
  • While the water is swirling pour the egg into to - keep the bowl close to the water - the vortex will swirl the egg into a lovely poached shape.
  • Leave it in the pan boiling away for about 5 minutes for a runny yolk, a couple more minutes for a hard one.
  • Take out with a slotted spoon, blot dry with kitchen roll if you need to.

Eat and enjoy!

1 comment: