Wednesday 15 February 2012

Pork loin steaks with apple and cider

Today I did some cooking as part of my resolution to try and cook new foods and try new things. I don't often eat pork steaks, rarely buy it and have NEVER cooked it. Ever. That seemed like a good place to start. I remembered my mother-in-law having done a pork type casserole with cider in it and so I had a google and found a recipe that didn't sound too complicated or involve too many ingredients.

I did take a photo. It's not a great photo, I'd already started eating, it's brown food so it never looks appetising and I am not in the LEAST bit chef-y.


The recipe is from BBC food. I changed a few things, nothing major.

I did 3 pork steaks rather than 2 and so I put a bit more of everything else in (150ml of cider instead of 100ml etc). I left out the sage and used single rather than double cream (Hubby picked up the wrong one) I completely ignored the mash side of it. I love normal mash so we just had that. I was a little indulgent and added cream to it. Yum.

Verdict? It was nice, had a good taste, pork was cooked nicely and not too chewy. Plates were cleared.

I'm going to rate the meals I try out of 10 so that I can look back and compile my favourites. I'm giving this one a 7/10. It was yummy and I'd eat it again but it didn't blow my socks off and leave me begging for more. Which is what a 10 would do. 

Cost: £4.40 (served 3)

Cider £0.25
Pork £2.40 (based on 2 out of 3 of the whole pack of 5 steaks which were on offer)
Mash £0.60
Peas £0.15
Broccoli and Cauliflower £0.25
Salt, pepper, olive oil £0.10 (approx)
Cream £0.65

No comments:

Post a Comment