Saturday 23 June 2012

Apple and Oat Cookies - Recipe

I've made these cookies a few times before. They always go down well with the girlies and I am happy to let them eat them as they are almost healthy. I say almost as a cookies is never going to be as healthy as a salad... but these cookies have apples and oats in. So very nearly healthy!


The recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery book - Cake Days. If you don't have it then you should go and buy it right now! I love it. It has so many recipes in and such wonderful ones too. It is my 'go to' baking book.

Ingredients:

135g unsalted butter (softened)
80g caster sugar
80g soft light brown sugar (I didn't have any so I used 40g dark brown soft sugar and 40g caster sugar)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
190g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt (I only use a pinch)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 apples
60g oats

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.

Using a mixer of some sort mix the butter and all of the sugar together until paler and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Then add the flour, cinnamon, salt and bicarb and mix to a dough.

Peel and grate the apples. Squeeze the grated apple through your fingers to get as much liquid out as you can. You need around 60g of grated apple (after squeezing). I had 50g from my 2 apples which worked fine. Add this and the oats to the dough and mix by hand.



Roll the dough into balls (2tbsp approx in size) and place on the baking tray. Place well apart as they spread! Cook for 15-20 minutes. 15 for gooer cookies, 20 for harder ones!

Then eat them. Try one while they are still warm. YUM.


P.S This is what happens when you don't take your own advice about spreading them out....


Ooops...


No comments:

Post a Comment