Friday 13 July 2012

Easy Nectarine Jam

I love nectarines and so have been buying them fairly frequently while they are in season and relatively cheap. But I forgot to eat some and as a result I had 2 punnets of over-ripe nectarines. So I decided that I needed to make some jam. I've limited jam making experience and I had limited time but this method is SO easy that it didn't matter.

Nectarines naturally contain pectin (as do plums) and that is the stuff that helps give it the jammy texture - so that means that all you need for nectarine jam is sugar, nectarines and some lemon juice. And a saucepan!

Nectrarines - chopped, stones removed, no need to peel
Sugar - half the weight that you have of nectarines. I used caster sugar
Water - I used 1 cup of water - to about 8 nectarines
Lemon juice - I used the juice of half a lemon, something like that will be fine.

Put all the ingredients in a pan, stir and bring to a rolling boil, stir frequently and boil for about 30 minutes - or until thick and jammy. Then leave to cool. Pour into a jar, jug, whatever you fancy. My 8 nectarines made one average jam sized jar. In a sterilised jar (boil it for 5 minutes) the jam will keep in the fridge for 6 months!




The jam is thick and a beautiful colour. It's really tasty too!


YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment